Tuesday, February 17, 2009

No race cars

Yesterday I had a small moment of sadness. We were waiting on the neurosurgeon and Jack was driving around in one of those Lil' Tikes cars. There was no one else in the waiting room so he had plenty of room and he was having a ball. He said "driving" [it was in Jackspeak but you'd have to hear it. I don't know how to write it]. I said, "You love driving fast! Are you gonna be a race car driver?" David looked at me and said, "I don't think so, Honey." Jack can do anything he sets his mind to but no matter how hard he (or we) tries you can't adapt a lack of vision to a task like driving that requires vision. It made me cry. What if my little boy wants to drive race cars?!!?
Jack's vision is what is. We will do what we can to maximize the vision he has. Fortunately, Dr. Price said that there was no reason to believe that his vision would get worse with time. And you know those race cars move so fast they're a blur to "normally sighted" people.....and they get awfully close to each other while driving....
:) For now, Jack is happy driving the vehicles that he is allowed to drive at the tender age of 3 and almost 3/4 years old. We'll stick with happy and deal with what comes as it comes.
Sent from my Palm Treo

No comments: