Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tackle It Thursday--Play Area!!!

Tackle It Tuesday Meme
Yeah, I know the button says Tuesday and I am posting on Thursday. I'm just taking a few liberalities with the posting schedule. I read other people's tackle posts and I am in absolute awe of all they get done. Anyway, I awed myself this time so I thought I'd share.

I actually tackled this area over several days little by little the last few weeks. This is what we started with:


an area of the living room overtaken by utter chaos


and a way overcrowded play area.

With Christmas coming and people asking what they should get Jack, I began to panic! No, no, no, no! No more. This space is not even playable and we don't even have a place to put our tree!!! What's a mama to do?

I made some very hard choices. I had to contain the chaos so I broke my own heart and put many, many, many books and puzzles away. I found solace in the idea that putting the books and puzzles away and leaving only a few out would give Jack more room and he would actually be able to get to the books left out.

I also weeded through a lot of the toys and set aside many things that his younger cousins and friends will be able to enjoy now that he no longer plays with them.

This is how the space looked after the inital improvements.....



and Jack was immediately drawn to the space now that it was very playable and roomy!

There is even a designated parking spot for his trike!

And then I was Christmas shopping when I saw something that made my heart go pitter pat! Do you see it?

Shelves--little bookshelves that fit right under the window with a little room left on the top to fit the baskets. {Squeal!} After David quickly assembled our new shelves, I brought all the books back out and put them in our new little "library" shelves. I brought all the puzzles back out too and put them in the baskets.

Now we have lots of great books, puzzles, and toys out and still room to play.

And.....room for our Christmas tree.......

and best of all, the books are very easy access for snuggly reading time with Mama!



To see more Tackle it Tuesday posts, click here.

Don't forget to check out this week's installment of Life is Therapy.

12 comments:

danette said...

Wow, it looks great, you did an awesome job! I love the bookshelves :)

Staying Afloat said...

Impressive. The bookshelf adds a lot! Can you explain the guitar?

Unknown said...

You did a great job! What a great space to play in.

JDaniel loved handing out the Snickerdoodle packets to the neighbors. We will definitely do it next year. Thanks for stopping by.

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Will you come to my house next...huh, huh, will you pretty please??? I don't have the playroom anymore...but wow, it amazes me how it gets replaced with clutter....I think I need an intervention. You have a beautiful family!!! Thanks for stopping by!

Serendipity is Sweet said...

Well done!
Cute pics :D

Marie said...

Thank y'all for the compliments. We are truly enjoying the space now. Jack is very drawn to it and he plays with so many more of his things now that he can get to them. AND I really love how much he enjoys reading!!! Several times a day he says "Read, read" and goes over to the space. He still likes to sit in my lap for reading so it's just all sorts of awesome!
SA--the guitar was a gift. You can read about it here (http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com/2009/12/hes-on-his-way-now.html). Jack loves musical instruments and asks to play his guitar nearly every day.
Traci--I have so much more to tackle in my house I'll be old and gray when I get done but sure...you remind me and I'll come there next. :)

Rachel said...

That's AWESOME!! I SOOOO needed to do this before Christmas - Ali has way too much stuff already. Maybe I need to go do it right now before she wakes up...
Will you come help??

Marie said...

Sorry Rachel, Traci asked first. You'll have to get in line. LOL!

Unknown said...

I wanna play !!!

mommytoalot said...

Wow!!! Super job Marie!!
Jack sure has a lot of neat stuff..can we come for a playdate some time...lol

Sarah and the Gentlemen said...

The play room looks great! Good job. So far I've taken a "before" picture of my boys' playroom but I haven't yet tackled the reorganizing part.

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

Wow! Great tackling. I have the same struggle with pruning out toys, but it really does help.