Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sorting by Color

As I was scouring the web for ideas, I came across The Easiest Toddler Color Sorting Activity. I loved the simplicity yet effectiveness of the activity.

I do have construction paper and various colored pegs and what not around and could have done the activity just as laid out here but I decided to try it with Jack's light box hoping that it would help him to more easily distinguish the colors.

 I pulled out the blue and red overlays,

the red and blue pegs,
and also the red and blue bowls*.
*Jack has fine motor issues and difficulty distinguishing colors so I decided to decrease the challenge a bit for the introduction of the activity. I pre-sorted the pegs into their correctly colored bowls.

Here's the set-up with the overlays side by side on the lightbox.


Here's what it will look like with two of the pegs correctly placed.


Jack seemed to have real difficulty with this activity.


I helped him place one blue peg in the correct spot to get him started.

He really acted as though he did not get what I was asking him to do. I previously mentioned that we were concerned that he might be color blind. At times, he seems to recognize colors in isolation but it's not 100%. Even though he knows color names now, it's hard to tell if he's not paying attention (looking at the object) or he just doesn't know the color.

Off to the web I went to try to understand why this task might be difficult. I found this comparison of what a person with and without colorblindness might see when looking at a color wheel.

See how similar the red and blue appear?

So the big question.....was the activity difficult because he just plain old wasn't interested or is he color blind and finds it difficult to distinguish the two colors?

And I wonder if using the light box and light box materials exacerbated the difficulty of identify the colors.....

I'll take any suggestions especially from those of you who are color blind.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I should try a similar activity with Ashlea and see if she can 'get it'. I'm pretty sure she isn't colour blind (but obviously can't be certain).

My gut feeling is that she would be able to do it - and I think Jack's cognitive skills are better than Ashlea's so that would lead me to think Jack's difficulty with this was related to vision and / or colour blindness.

I'll get back to you!

Marie said...

Thanks Alison! I can't wait to hear how Ashlea does.