Monday, April 16, 2012

Couch to 5K!

I'm on week 4 of a "Couch to 5K" program. I actually started with The Runner's World 8-Week Beginning Runner's Training Program. I was about 2 1/2 weeks in when I realized that there was a blackberry app for the "Couch to 5K" program. I downloaded the app and switched over to the 9 week "Couch to 5K". I happily posted to twitter and facebook that Jack and I are already reaping the benefits of my increased energy levels. A friend asked if Jack was doing it with me. Well, no, I had been doing the program on my treadmill after Jack went to bed or was otherwise occupied (usually playing with Daddy) in the evenings. But Steve's question got me thinking, Why not? We've got a nice trail nearby and Jack can safely ride his bike while I run and walk.

How'd it go? Jack loves the app. It boldly announces "Get ready to walk" (or jog as appropriate) and then "Walk" (or jog). Jack found this hilarious and kept repeating whatever the app said while giving that infectious giggle of his. Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at following the instructions. When the app guy announced "Run", Jack did this
When the app said "Walk", Jack did this
So I jogged circles around him and would give him a little push to get him going when he stopped and I'd go ahead and run to catch to up with him when I was supposed to be walking. When the program said, "You're finished", we were still on the other end of the trail so we walked/jogged back at Jack's pace. Overall, it was a good workout! He pushes me further and harder than any app could.

No comments: