Wednesday, February 20, 2008

As Quiet As A Child

Dr. Wellon's nurse came in and said that they got a call from the lab saying that the CSF is "growing something." If it is truly "growing something" and not contaminated, then Jack will have to go back to the OR and have both shunts removed. For now, he is not allowed anything by mouth and we are waiting for Dr. Wellons to finish his current case. When he is finished, he will consult with the lab and come talk to us about taking Jack back to surgery.
Jack has been lying here asleep nestled in the crook of my arm as if he has no care in the world. I have been quietly praying over him reminding myself and God how I have seen his hand upon my life and Jack's and how I can trace back over time how he slowly but surely and purposely prepared me to be Jack's mother. I know that God has a plan and a purpose that I cannot yet see. I was asking him to help me be still and wait on him and then I checked my email and found this encouragement.
So I thought I'd share it with you.

Sent from my Palm Treo

-----Original Message-----

From: Purpose Driven Life<dailydevotionals@purposedrivenlife.com>
Subj: February 20, 2008 - As Quiet As A Child - Daily Devotional
Date: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 am

As Quiet As A Child
By Jon Walker

I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me. But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the LORD — now and always. (Psalms 131:1b-3 NLT)


Today's devotional actually comes from my sister, a godly woman and serious prayer warrior. She e-mailed this morning, saying she'd been thinking the peace of God that passes all understanding.

She said she'd spent some time meditating on Psalm 131 –

• Verse 1b – "… I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me …." We are free to live out our purpose when we relinquish control of the things that don't belong to us in the first place, such as worry about things over which we have no control, or trying to control something we have no business trying to control.

• Verse 2 – "But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother …." I trust, even when the outcome seems a long way away. A nursing child wants attention now, but weaned child trusts and is content to wait.

• Verse 3 – "… Put your hope in the LORD — now and always." We hope in the Lord with confident expectation. In other words, we truly believe he will answer our prayers, that he will respond, that he will get us through. You can declare confidently that the Lord will pave your way and walk with you and keep your feet from stumbling. He's done it before, and he'll do it again!

Praise God for his peace! It is through his peace that we can do all things – and endure so much. It is a peace that passes all understanding.

What now?

• Overly concerned – Is your peace undermined because you're concerned about matters that are not even your responsibility? Or a matter over which you have absolutely no control? Ask God what should be on your "responsibility" list; ask him what items you should remove from your list. Psalm 131:1b – "I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me."

• Prayer, but delayed gratification – Are you at peace because you have learned to trust God and wait? If not, ask God to reveal what makes you demand an immediate answer from him, and talk to him about what he reveals. Ask God to help you learn to trust him – and to wait. Psalm 131:2 – "But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me."

• Confident expectation – When you say you hope in the Lord, then really hope in the Lord. Expect him to come through for you – at just the right time in just the right way. Psalm 131:3 – "O Israel, put your hope in the LORD — now and always."

No comments: